Carbon dating decay equation

­ ­You probably have seen or read news stories about fascinating ancient artifacts.At an ar­chaeological dig, a piece of wooden tool is unearthed and the archaeologist finds it to be 5,000 years old.The kerosene is purified by removing pollutants, using a clay filter.Suppose the clay is in a pipe and as the kerosene flows through the pipe, every foot of clay removes 20% of the pollutants, leaving 80%.Becquerel concluded that the uranium must be emitting some sort of high energy. Later, Becquerel demonstrated that the radiation emitted by uranium was similar to X rays but, unlike X rays, could be deflected by a magnetic field and therefore must consist of charged particles.For his discovery of radioactivity, Becquerel was awarded the 1903 Nobel Prize for physics.

Archaeologists use the exponential, radioactive decay of carbon 14 to estimate the death dates of organic material.

Electron capture leads to a decrease of one in the charge on the nucleus.

The energy given off in this reaction is carried by an x-ray photon, which is represented by the symbol hv, where h is Planck's constant and v is the frequency of the x-ray.

"Everything which has come down to us from heathendom is wrapped in a thick fog; it belongs to a space of time we cannot measure.

We know that it is older than Christendom, but whether by a couple of years or a couple of centuries, or even by more than a millenium, we can do no more than guess." [Rasmus Nyerup, (Danish antiquarian), 1802 (in Trigger, 19)].

872

Leave a Reply